Well I found Jesus when I was 18 years of age. I grew up believing in God, but not knowing who that God was. I did not have the easiest of lives, but not the worse either. I grew up playing football on the streets and little league all the way to high school. It was my sanctuary to play foozball because I was good at it. I always had friends because of it and I loved knocking people on their butts! It was the summer going into my Senior year that one of my coaches bugged me all day long to go to this FCA retreat camp. I kept saying, "no" but, he asked me so much I got tired of refusing. I don't know why I went really, but I thank God that I did because I found people in love with God and expeirenced love that I never knew existed before. I thought these people were weird when I first got to Kerrville, TX on this retreat. They were all singing and stuff it was just gay to me. Well, the main speaker there took an interest in me out of hundreds of students that were there. He talked to me about Jesus and that I could with Him I would be able to reach my potential without Him I would not. The acceptance at this camp was different than I ever knew because even though I was a good athlete it seemed that I was accepted by these coaches besides that. I found out who Jesus was and why He died on the cross and it was because He loves me.
However, when I got back to home I quickly forgot all that Jesus stuff and started having fun with my friends. I had the most disappointing football season I ever had in my life. Even though I played well, we were a poor team and I was a poor leader. After football ended and not recieving any recognition from my Coaches and seemingly no hope to play College ball. I quickly drowned my sorrows in alcohol and drugs. I did many things that I regret now. I tried fulfilling this emptiness I had inside and I felt that I had no one. I have never been close to family, did not seem like people cared that I played football anymore, and my girlfriend cheated on me. I had no one my loneliness and the darkness was terrifying and I was deeply burden. My outside was tough, but I was so weak in the inside.
Dreaming and wishing that I could experience that love that I had at the FCA retreat. I was so far away from God and so sinful I did not even want to think what judgement was ahead of me. I took a side against God in protection from His wrath because I being sinful knew He would not accept me. No one I knew seemed to be able to love me, so I felt it was impossible. I ran around with my friends doing stupid things and got arrested on Graduation rehearsal day. You know thinking back on it that whole week was weird. I started thinking more about spiritual things and the extent of God's love. I remember not sleeping well that whole week because I could not stop thinking that there had to be something better out there. A purpose to this dull life. Well I got my answer to all those questions in that holding cell at Nueces County Jail. I looked around heard stories from everone arrested in that room. The emptiness in there eyes and even though that room was overfilled with criminals it was completely empty at the same time.
In that empty room filled with hollow people I heard a gentle whisper. All though not audible, this sweet gentle whisper told me that there was something more out there. That there was a unending, unfailing, everlasting love. That I could be whole! Fulfilled! This whisper told me that I was at a crossroads and there was two paths I could choose from. One that would lead me down the path that I was going and that would end right there in jail. Or the other that would lead me to a new life filled with goodness. I walked out of that cell into my room got on my knees at 2 O'Clock am and prayed to God. I asked Him to forgive me and accept me. To fill my life with that love I experienced at that retreat. That I would follow Him and give Him a chance to prove that He is good. If He would love me forever that I would serve Him to my last breathe. At that moment I felt Jesus calm my spirit and give me peace. I felt whole, and my burden was lifted. I all of a sudden was okay that I had no one in this world because I know had a Savior.
So, I accepted Jesus on the day of my graduation and spent that whole summer in His presense and deep in His word. I really cracked in that new Bible that was given to me at FCA retreat. I learned about how loving God is and how passionate that love is towards us. Its a radical love! Unconditional, Uncompared to anything else! He poured Himself out exposed on the cross for us and then He poured His spirit upon all who would believe in Him! How great is our God!
I entered college found fellowship in Chi Alpha and met the love of my life Janice. All in my freshman year. We got involved in a Church Trinity Nazarene and God kept growing me through many trails. My junior year I felt led to start a Bible study which ended up merging with Campus Crusade for Christ on campus. I felt that sweet whisper not audible, but gentle. God had told me that I would serve Him in full-time ministry that I would be a Pastor. Which was confirmed by many brothers and sisters in Christ. So, as I fast forward to the present now graduated, married to my princess, and sent to TAMUCC as Director of Campus Crusade. I am at awe of God and how he works. I am excited about this journey God has us on and its only just begun.
Friday, December 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment