Thursday, December 18, 2008

First Love

I just finished a short book by Bill Bright called, "First Love" which takes the reader back to the first time we fell in love with Jesus. Bill Bright is the founder of Campus Crusade for Christ and I was struck by his passion not only to see people come to christ, but to have an intimate close relationsip with God.

Bill reminds us not to be a bunch of Martha's too busy and distracted about everything that is going on in our lives that we forget to sit at His feet. Do you remember this story? Well let me jog your memory Jesus and the disciples were over at Marthas and she was busy serving them. She wanted obviously to be a good host.

She was running around trying to take care of everyone and she complained to Jesus saying, "Lord don't you care that my sister left me to do the work myself, tell her to help me."

Jesus told Martha that she was distracted by so many things and Mary has chose the better thing and He would not take that away from her. Do we always choose the better thing in our lives? For Mary what was better was sitting at her Lord's feet and listening to the word. Vasting in His presence and worshipping Him.

Sometimes we get way too busy in our lives and forget to just sit at Jesus feet and listen to His word. I'm not talking about routine Bible study or going through the motions as we attend Church on a weekly basis because even that stuff although good can lose its meaning. What I think Jesus is talking about here is giving Him our total attention. Fixing our eyes on Him and truly spending time in His presence. Just like it was when we first came to salvation. Do you know what I mean? That hunger and thirst for His word and that passion that we had when we spent that quality time with our Savior.

That's what its all about. That's what Jesus wants from us. Sometimes we get distracted though, I know I am guilty of being a Martha, but I pray that I will be a Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment